Mimi & Brian Tie the Knot!

9-9-06 has passed! We are finally married!

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Progress Report from Mimi...

We’ve made some serious headway lately: we’ve booked a photographer and I’ve found a wedding dress!

In the photography category, we once again successfully went over budget. Bob of Grand Lubell just stole our hearts with his enthusiasm and knowledge. The M&M’s he shared during our 2½ hour meeting also helped. :) When we walked out of our meeting, Brian and I both knew that we would be booking with him, we just needed time to talk ourselves into overspending one more time. Well, technically we agreed to allow this budget category to expand to what we needed it to in order to book Grand Lubell, so we didn’t really go over budget.

I really lucked out when it came to my dress. I met a fantastic woman from Shaw’s of Wauseon at the Superbowl of Bridal Shows back in January. She was really nice and convinced me to take the hour-long trek out to Wauson. For those unfamiliar, which I think is fair to guess is most of you, Wauseon is a one stoplight kind of town. Even better, at Shaw’s you can buy a Carhartt and hunting jacket at the same time you buy pick out your wedding dress! Most convenient, really. So my mom, my sister Kelly, two of my nieces, my nephew, and I all headed out on a recent chilly, rainy Saturday. The dress I finally settled on is absolutely nothing like what I thought I would end up with. It’s much more traditional than I thought it would be. I ended up with a great deal though…because it’s a floor model, it was over half-off and I received a discount from having attended the bridal show. This is one category (the only so far) that I kept to the budget even after alterations. About those alterations, did I mention the dress is a size 20 and so needs to be taken in a bit? (Wow, we could fit 10 Mimi's in there -- can you imagine! -Brian)

I should also note that the bridesmaid dresses were actually selected a while ago. The six girls will be in alternating shades of blues: cadet and cornflower. Almost all of the girls have been fitted, so that is progressing along nicely and so far none (though it was close) have cried in horror at themselves in the dress. (Note from Brian: The dresses are actually from Mimi's Bridal here in Ann Arbor ... how fitting and poetic.)

Now we just need to find someone to conduct the ceremony!

5 Comments:

  • It was a wonderful experience for me, as mother of the bride, to watch my beautiful daughter as she tried on wedding gowns! And, who would have thought that the trip that day would turn out to be so successful? Not only did she select a beautiful gown, but her sisters and nieces and nephew helped, we had the pleasure of meeting a very friendly,upbeat gown seamstress, and had a terrific lunch at a new Mexican restaurant in town! What a day!

    The Moms of the bride and groom still have to shop! Do we go long, short, in-between? Light, dark, conservative, queenly (can't be princess-y, a bit over the age for princess). Shaw's in Wauseon also had many lovely "mom" gowns. Just might have to take a trip back!

    Congratulations, Mandy & Brian, on your latest accomplishments!

    Love, Mom/Linda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/12/2006 12:24:00 PM  

  • Hey I didn't cry!! I was merely happy about the journey that you were about to undertake!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/12/2006 01:40:00 PM  

  • Regarding the mother of the bride and groom dresses...please don't go short. :-) If I see either of you in a mini- you'll get the boot. I think you guys could go with nearly any shade of blue or an off-white dress. Keep cleavage to a minimum please, you're both already married, no need to market yourselves. :-) A friend of Brian's shared the following link as the place where her mom ended up finding a dress: http://www.markhenryfashions.com . At first glance, I wasn't blown away, but I think a lot of it is that they have overly maked-up 20 something models wearing mother of the bride dresses and it just comes off all wrong. Ignore the faces and it's not so bad.

    By Blogger Mimi and Brian, at 2/12/2006 02:32:00 PM  

  • Hey, when I said long or short, I meant a respectable just-below-the knees short, or tea length. No minis, but I have beautiful legs, so why not show them off? Don't you just love to see mothers and daughters who look alike, walk alike, talk alike???

    Just kidding. I'll be browsing the site.

    Love, mom!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/16/2006 08:24:00 PM  

  • I don't know you, but I was looking up Grand Lubell and came across this blog. Just wanted to comment that we LOVED the work that they did. Stevie photographed our wedding (almost 5 yrs ago) and the results are spectacular. It was expensive, but I'd rather be extravagant in the photography department, because those will be around long after the you forgot what was served for dinner.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/21/2006 03:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home